Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Fell Clutch Of Circumstance

Life is fun.
It's challenging.
It's everything you need it to be to become the best person you can be. I firmly believe that situations present themselves, and you place a label or definition to that occurrence. You just fall into a set of circumstances and the measure of a man or woman is defined by how you define and react to those situations.
"Today at work my co worker was way out of line" already a tone has been placed what happened. There is a negative cloud over some ones actions. In order to understand and grow I am constantly challenging myself to look within. I start with my reaction or the emotion that I felt in the situation before I label any ones actions... even my own.
When you search, why that phrase, tone or situation elicited that reaction from me, you focus on yourself first. It gives you a better understanding and an opportunity to grow. Before you address the other persons action or the other person.
I borrowed a line from William Ernest Henley poem "Invictus" when I labeled this post. And I understand how you can find yourself falling into a set of circumstances. It's a place you fall into and are forced to deal with. You may feel like you did nothing to do create the situation but every communication has two parts. Some times there are passive parts but there is alway a lesson and culpability. Anyway when it becomes challenging or hard to maintain your composure or emotions. You may find yourself struggling to simply keep you head high and your spirits up.
I challenge you to look at this as an opportunity to grow.
Nothing is bigger than life, family and health. Anything else you label as a problem is just something that happened. Don't let it define you.
Having a disease is a tough situation.
I look at it as an opportunity to learn about health... my health. And then take that knowledge and get my body as healthy as I possibly can... with the help of a doctor of course.
I eat a better diet!
I found a physical activity I love!!
I changed my attitude toward others!!
And more important I changed my attitude toward myself!!!
Like W.E. Henley's poem says.
"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul"
So, make it happen... captain!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment