Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Simple Choice

Life is full of surprises. A disease can be one of them. I call the one that changed my journey, the gift of disease. Now, I want to be clear. I don't want to offend or belittle anyone who suffer from a debilitating disease. I understand and lend support to your struggle. But changes in your body that force you to slow down and respect each moment of life can be looked upon as a good thing.
That's what I chose to do.
And even bigger than that... the true gift of life is the opportunity to change. I don't just mean your underwear or your mind but a true life change. Do thing differently. If you do the same things in life you will get the same results. If you want a different outcome then do different things.
And the more serious the disease, the bigger the change.
How big?
Diet!
Lifestyle!
Diet!
Mental attitude!
Physical activity!
And Diet!
I'm not telling you to change you job, for some that is not possible.
But I am telling you to change you attitude or view of that job. Instead of a looking at your job as a rut or grueling routine, look at it as an opportunity to squeeze fun and enjoyment out of a task you actually get paid to do.
I'm not telling you to change the people in your life.
But I am saying find that physical activity that you love to do, it can be simple as walking or as big as joining a hockey or volleyball league. Then shut off the TV and do it for at least one hour a day. You can actually take a friend or a loved one with you and that can be your time.
And finally, I am telling you change your diet.
There are plenty of diets out there just address a multitude of diseases.
They work.
Don't stop seeing your doctor, but do drastically change your diet. You have been eating one way for a life time and look where it has gotten you.
Try for at least 90 days to drastically change your diet.
Physical changes will follow and that will be your fuel to continue.
If there is one thing that became clear to me when I was diagnosed with crohn's disease. It wasn't there are so many things I still want to do. It was that wanted to live to see my children grow. I wanted to love them and watch the love grow.
I didn't even have kids at that point. I was in my late 30s and live a life that was singularly focus on career success. And I never thought life would end before I had kids and a family. But the disease seem to put an end to my life or at least my quality of life that I couldn't deal with.
So, I said I would do anything to change that end if it give me one more day with my kid.
I drastically changed. Diet, attitude everything. It took time.
Now, years later I am here and I live a normal healthy life with a very healthy diet.
My daughter is 18 months old and I am thankful for every moment I have with her.
Moments a disease tried to take from me.
It's a simple choice.
Change and watch your daughter grow!!!
A simple choice that I'm glad I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment